Caramel Popcorn Ball Snacks
Originally submitted by Suzanne and modified by Kaboose.com
Average User Rating:
These caramel confections are a special treat that kids just adore. They're simple to make and tuck into a lunch bag or backpack for a sweet recess snack.
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 2-1/2 cups unpopped popcorn
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 2/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Add 1 tablespoon of the oil to a 4-quart saucepan, and heat over high heat. When oil is hot, add 1/2 cup of popping corn. Keep pan moving constantly. When corn stops popping, remove from heat. Place popped corn in a 250 degree F (120 degree F) oven to keep warm. Repeat until all corn has been popped. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan with a candy thermometer inserted, combine butter, sugar, and corn syrup. Stir well and bring to boiling over medium heat. Stir in condensed milk; simmer, stirring constantly, until thermometer reads 238 degrees F (114 degrees C). Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Pour caramel mixture over popped corn and stir to coat. Allow to cool slightly. Butter hands lightly; shape popcorn into balls about 3-1/2 inches in diameter.
Servings per Recipe: 15
- calories: 321cal
- total fat: 10.4g
- cholesterol: 13mg
- sodium: 69mg
- carbohydrates: 54.7g
- fiber: 4.9g
- protein: 5.2g
Try it With:
Chicken Stir-Fry with Noodles