Candy Corn Cupcakes
Original Kaboose.com recipe and photography by Christina Stanley-Salerno
Average User Rating:
Don't tell your guests what's waiting inside these cupcakes. The orange and white swirls are sure to delight.
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla, divided
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon orange gel food coloring
Cream Cheese Icing ingredients
- 2 (8 ounce) packages of cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/3 cup confectioners sugar, sifted
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 36 candy corn candies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 (12 cup) cupcake pans with 16 cupcake liners
- In a large mixing bowl, with an electric mixer, beat sugar and eggs together until slightly thickened, about 1 minute. Add flour, milk, oil, baking powder, and vanilla and beat for another minute, just until the batter is smooth and creamy. Don't overbeat.
- Place 1/3 of the batter into a separate bowl. Add orange gel dye to the reserved batter and mix well. Fill each muffin liner with 2 tablespoons of plain vanilla cake batter. Layer over 1 tablespoon of orange-dyed batter onto each. Using a toothpick, gently drag the orange batter through the plain vanilla batter, creating a streaked look. Do not over do it or batters will blend together.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until the tops are golden and a toothpick poked into the center of the layer comes out clean.
- To prepare icing, place cream cheese in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat on low for 30 seconds or until creamy. Add in sugar, milk and vanilla and beat until lightly and creamy, about 1 minute. Use immediately or place in refrigerator until ready to use. For a neat presentation, place frosting into a zipper-type plastic bag with the corner snipped off. Pipe icing onto each cooled cupcake and top with a couple of candy corns for each cupcake.