Calico Squash Casserole
Originally submitted by Meli and modified by Kaboose.com
Average User Rating:
With a cornucopia of harvest vegetables, this rich and creamy squash casserole blends garden-fresh yellow and zucchini squashes, carrot, pimientos and mushroom soup in a crispy crust for a satisfying fall supper.
- 2 cups sliced yellow squash
- 1 cup sliced zucchini
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup sliced green onion
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 cups crushed buttery round crackers
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 (4 ounce) jar diced pimiento peppers, drained
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a large saucepan combine yellow squash, zucchini, onion, green onion, water and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cover and cook over medium heat about 6 minutes. Drain well and set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine cracker crumbs and butter. Mix well and spread half of the mixture into the bottom of a 9x13-inch casserole dish.
- In a large bowl combine soup, water chestnuts, carrots, mayonnaise, pimentos, sage, pepper and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Fold in squash mixture and spoon over crumb crust. Sprinkle cheese on top, and then the remaining cracker crumbs.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 30 minutes, or until firm and heated through.
Servings per Recipe: 8
- calories: 409cal
- total fat: 34.4g
- cholesterol: 54mg
- sodium: 1139mg
- carbohydrates: 20.5g
- fiber: 2.5g
- protein: 6.3g
Cooking Time: 40 min.
Ready In: 50 min.