Original kaboose.com recipe, developed by Wendy Kalen
Average User Rating:
This butterfly cake is really easy to make. All it takes is a round cake, a square cake, two Twinkies and decorations. Then, let your imagination take wing.
Also be sure to check out our other birthday cake ideas for your next party.
- 1-18.25 ounce box vanilla or yellow cake mix
- 2 oblong cream-filled snack cakes, such as Twinkies
- 2 16-ounce cans of vanilla frosting
- 2 6-inch bamboo skewers
- Assorted color paste or liquid food colors
- Assorted candy cake and cookie decorations
- According to manufacturer’s directions divide the batter evenly between one 9-inch round pan and one 9-inch square baking pan. Let cool.
- Cut the square cake diagonally. Cut the round cake in half. Cut one short end of each oblong cake into a point.
- Carefully brush crumbs off cakes. On a cooling rack set over sided cookie sheet place cakes.
- Heat frosting in microwave 30 seconds on high; stir. Heat in 10 second intervals, stirring after each, until frosting is easily pourable. Pour frosting over cake to cover; let dry completely. If needed, scrape excess frosting from cookie sheet, remelt and pour again. Repeat as often as necessary.
- Decorate wings as desired, adhering decorations with frosting. On the frosted,rounded end of one of the oblong cakes place eyes. Slide the bamboo skewers into the rounded top end of the oblong cake with the eyes
- With the cut side facing the middle of a large, flat platter place the bottom triangular wings in place. With the cut side facing the top of the platter, place the top rounded wings in place. Fit the oblong cake with the antennae between the rounded wings, and fit the other oblong cake between the triangular wings (moving the wings as needed.)
Two small pretzel sticks can be used in place of the bamboo skewers
Tips & Tricks
Tweezers are great for placing delicate decorations exactly where you want them.
Servings per Recipe:
Baking Time: About 28 minutes