Braised Red Cabbage and Apples
by Stella Zedman
Average User Rating:
A little sweet, a little sour, this sensational side dish of braised red cabbage and apples is an easy accompaniment to roast turkey that can be made ahead of time and reheated right before dinner.
Looking for more Thanksgiving or Fall recipe ideas? Do visit our complete listings of Fall comfort recipes that your family will just love!
- 2 tbsp. (30 mL) vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 small head red cabbage, quartered and thinly sliced
- 2 apples, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) red wine (any kind)
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp. (15 mL) sugar
- 2 tsp. (10 mL) salt
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) apple jelly
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring for 5 minutes, until softened. Add cabbage and cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, for 10 to 15 minutes or until cabbage is thoroughly wilted and softened. Now add apples, wine, vinegar, sugar and salt, lower the heat to low and simmer, covered, for 1-1/2 to 2 hours, stirring once in a while.
- Stir in apple jelly, replace the cover on the pot and continue to simmer for another 15 to 20 minutes.
How kids can help
Chop apples and slice cabbage.
Add other ingredients to the pot as they go in.