Black Bean Dip with Veggies and Tortilla Chips
by Stella Zedman
Average User Rating:
A delightful dip for your favorite veggies or tortilla chips, this spicy black bean dip gets its kick from shredded Monterey Jack and spicy salsa but can be tamed for children's birthday parties or school lunches.
- 1 can (19 oz./540 mL) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) salsa (hot, medium or mild)
- 1 clove garlic, chopped (optional)
- 2 tbsp. (30 mL) mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp. (30 mL) chopped cilantro (optional)
- 1/2 tsp. (2 mL) salt
- shredded Monterey jack or cheddar cheese (on the side)
- assorted raw veggie dippers, such as celery, carrots, broccoli, peppers, cauliflower or whatever your child likes
- tortilla chips for dipping
- In the container of a blender or food processor, combine the beans, salsa, garlic, mayonnaise, cilantro and salt. Blend, scraping down the side of the container once or twice, until not quite completely smooth. A little texture is nice.
- Transfer dip to a serving bowl, sprinkle with shredded cheese and serve with veggies and tortilla chips.
- If you are packing this in a lunch bag, pack the dip, cheese, veggies and chips in separate plastic containers or zip-top bags. Let your child add the cheese at lunchtime.
How kids can help
Combine bean mixture in blender or food processor and blend (with adult supervision, of course).
Shred cheese and prepare veggies.