Best-Ever Beef Burgers
by The Canadian Living Test Kitchen
Average User Rating:
Dinner is done - well done, that is - with these savory, seasoned beef patties that are perfect for backyard barbecues or indoor grilling. Adding a bit of water to the mixture ensures that they stay moist and flavorful.
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) water
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) dry bread crumbs
- 1 small onion, grated
- 2 tsp (10 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
- 1 lb (500 g) lean ground beef
- 4 hamburger buns
- In bowl, beat egg and water with fork; mix in bread crumbs, onion, mustard, salt, Worcestershire and pepper. Mix in beef. Shape into four 1/2-inch (1-cm) thick patties. (Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 6 hours. Or layer between waxed paper in airtight container and freeze for up to 1 month; thaw in refrigerator.)
- Place patties on greased grill over medium-high heat; close lid and cook, turning patties once, for about 10 minutes or until no longer pink inside. Place in hamburger buns.
Oregano Lemon Pork Burgers: Omit mustard, Worcestershire sauce and beef. Add 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh oregano, 2 tsp (10 mL) grated lemon rind and 1 lb (500 g) lean ground pork.
Cajun Chicken Burgers: Omit mustard, Worcestershire sauce and beef. Add 1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped fresh parsley, 2 tsp (10 mL) Cajun seasoning and 1 lb (500 g) ground chicken.
Servings per Recipe: 4