Berry Flag Pull-Apart Cake
Original Kaboose.com recipe and photography by Christina Stanley-Salerno
Average User Rating:
This showstopping flag dessert combines sweet vanilla cake with colorful strawberries and blueberries for a patriotic 4th of July treat.
- 1 Simple Vanilla Cake recipe, made into 20 cupcakes
- 2 (8 ounce) packages of cream cheese
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 25-30 strawberries, cut in half and thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place 20 cupcake liners into 2 (12 cup) cupcake pans. Follow the directions for the Simple Vanilla Cake recipe but instead pour batter into prepared cupcake pans, filling each cupcake about one-half to three-quarters full.
- Bake for 18 to 21 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of one of the cupcakes, comes out clean. Remove cupcakes and place on wire rack to cool before icing, about 10 minutes.
To make icing:
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together cream cheese, vanilla extract and butter until smooth. Slowly add in confectioner’s sugar. Beat until sugar is thoroughly combined. Refrigerate until ready to use.
To assemble cake:
- Ice each cupcake. Decorate 4 of the cupcakes with 4 rows of blueberries. Decorate the remaining 16 cupcakes with strawberries. On each of the remaining cupcakes, place two strawberry slices side by side, in 4 rows.
- Line iced cupcakes side by side on a large serving platter, placing the four blueberry cupcakes two over two in the upper left hand corner of the flag. Cupcakes should be grouped into 4 rows of 5. Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to 2 hours.
Make it Faster
To save time, use a purchased vanilla cake mix.
Baking Time: 18 minutes