Baked Macaroni, Tomato and Cheese Casserole
by Stella Zedman
Average User Rating:
This recipe is rated Easy to do
Parental supervision is recommended
The perfect dish when it's less-than-perfect outside, this saucy supper casserole, made marvellous with melted Cheddar cheese and garden-fresh tomatoes, is comfort food at its ooey, gooey, cheesy best.
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) raw elbow macaroni
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 can (28-oz/796-mL) diced tomatoes
- 1 cup (250 mL) cubed sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup (250 mL) water
- 1 tsp. (5 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp. (1 mL) black pepper
- 1 tbsp. (15 mL) butter
- 1 cup (250 mL) bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Grease an 8-cup (2-L) ovenproof casserole with a lid.
- In the prepared casserole, combine macaroni, onion, tomatoes, cheese, water, salt and pepper and stir to combine well. Place the lid on the casserole and bake for 1 hour, opening the oven and giving the mixture a stir about halfway through the baking time.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Add bread crumbs and cook, stirring, for 8 to 10 minutes or until the crumbs are lightly toasted.
- After the casserole has baked for 1 hour, remove the lid and sprinkle the buttered crumbs over top. Return to the oven, place under the broiler element and broil for 3 to 5 minutes, until browned.
How kids can help
Mix together all the ingredients in the casserole dish.
Sprinkle with buttered crumbs.
Try it With: