Asparagus with Hazelnuts and Parmesan
by Stella Zedman
Average User Rating:
What says spring better than fresh asparagus? Toss with balsamic butter and sprinkle with hazelnuts and Parmesan -- and try not to eat the entire plateful of asparagus with hazelnuts and parmesan yourself.
- 1 lb (500 g) fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped toasted hazelnuts
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) shaved Parmesan cheese (or 2 tbsp/30 mL grated)
- Arrange the asparagus in a steamer basket and place over boiling water. Cover and let steam for 3 minutes. Remove asparagus from steamer and set aside. You prepare the asparagus to this point ahead of time and refrigerate until just before you’re ready to serve the dish.
- At serving time, heat the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. When the butter is melted and the foam has subsided, stir in the balsamic vinegar and let cook for about 30 seconds. Add the steamed asparagus to the skillet along with the hazelnuts, salt, and pepper, and toss in the butter mixture just until the asparagus is heated through. Transfer to a serving plate and sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.
How kids can help:
Snap the tough ends off the asparagus spears.
Shave the Parmesan cheese with a vegetable peeler.
Sprinkle nuts and cheese over finished dish.
Try it With:
Related Recipes & Articles:
More Spring Recipes