Apple Puff Pancake
by Stella Zedman
Average User Rating:
This recipe for a delicious Apple Puff Pancake is good all by itself, but even better when served with a drizzle of maple syrup.
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup (250 mL) milk
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
- 2/3 cup (175 mL) all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) cinnamon
- 2 medium apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- icing sugar for dusting
- maple syrup, as an accompaniment, if desired
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- Place the butter in a 10-inch (25 cm) deep dish pie plate or a 9-inch (23 cm) square baking dish.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, beat together the eggs, milk and vanilla with an electric mixer until well mixed and foamy. In a small bowl, stir together the flour, sugar and cinnamon. Add to the egg mixture and beat just until smooth. Set aside for a moment.
- Place the pie plate or baking dish into the oven and let heat until the butter is melted and hot. Remove from the oven and holding the dish carefully with oven mitts, swirl gently to coat the entire surface with butter. Quickly arrange the apple slices evenly on the bottom of the dish and pour in the batter.
- Place in the oven and bake 30 to 35 minutes or until puffed and lightly browned. Dust with icing sugar before cutting into wedges or squares. Serve with a drizzle of maple syrup if you like.
Servings: 6 to 8
How kids can help
Crack the eggs into a bowl and add the other ingredients.
Slice the apples (with adult supervision) and arrange them in the pan.
Dust with icing sugar before serving.