Apple-Glazed Roast Turkey
Original kaboose.com recipe, developed by Wendy Kalen
Average User Rating:
Apple-glazed turkey is a snap to make and a delight to eat. A sweet glaze with a touch of heat, that takes just a minute to make, is brushed on the turkey just before it's removed from the oven.
- 1-12 pound turkey
- ½ cup apple jelly
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼-½ teaspoon ground red pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Remove giblets and neck from cavity. Place giblets and neck (not the liver) in the roasting pan. Place rack in pan and put turkey on rack.
- Roast turkey until the skin is browned, about 2½ -3 hours. Tent turkey with aluminum foil. Continue to roast until temperature in thickest part of thigh is 175 degrees F., about ½ hour more.
- In a small pot, melt apple jelly. Stir in cinnamon and pepper to mix. Brush turkey with apple glaze and broil 4 inches from heating element about 3 minutes, until browned and bubbly.
- Remove turkey from oven, tent loosely with aluminum foil, and let rest 30 minutes before carving.
- Instead of using a rack, cut 2 onions into ½-inch slice and place in bottom of roasting pan. Place turkey on top of onion slices
3 - 3 1/2 hours
3 hours and 40 minutes to 4 hours and 10 minutes