Apple Cranberry Crumble
by Stella Zedman
Average User Rating:
Studded with sweet cranberries and aromatic baked apples, this classic crumble adds the flavors of fall to your Thanksgiving table and is filled with all the sweet things that you'll want to give thanks for.
- 4 cups (1 L) apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2-inch (1-cm) chunks
- 2 cups (500 mL) fresh cranberries, halved
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) dried cranberries
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp. (45 mL) corn starch
- 1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. (2 mL) cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) butter
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease an 8- or 9-inch (20- or 23-cm) square baking dish (or any baking dish of a similar size).
- First, prepare the fruit mixture. In a bowl, toss together apples, fresh cranberries and dried cranberries. Add sugar and corn starch and toss to mix everything well. Transfer to prepared baking dish.
- Next, make the crumble topping. In another large bowl (or in a food processor), combine the flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon, then cut butter into the mixture until it has a slightly sticky crumbly texture. Sprinkle over the apple cranberry mixture in the baking dish. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until the fruit juices are bubbling and the topping is browned and crisp.
- Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream.
How kids can help
Peel and cut up apples.
Toss all the filling ingredients together.
Sprinkle on the crumble topping.